Sustainable Self Care – Store Cupboard Dinner Edition
Good for you and the planet.
Did you know that swapping out the beef for lentils can save over 30kg CO2 from your carbon footprint in a single meal!
This recipe serves 6 so is great for batch cooking and freezing the ragu sauce for another time! We’re all about saving our own time as well as the planet.
500g Dried red lentils
3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Celery sticks
3 Garlic cloves
2 x 400g Cans chopped tomatoes
2 Tablespoons of tomato puree
4 Tablespoons of italian herbs (oregano and thyme are great, 2 tbsp each)
1l Vegetable stock
1. Finely chop the onions, celery, carrots and garlic.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions, celery, carrot and garlic, cooking for 15-20 minutes until softened.
3. Stir in the lentils, tomato puree, vegetable stock and chopped tomatoes and cook for 40-50 minutes.
4. Practice some youtube yoga while you wait (optional).
5. With 15 minutes to go, boil a kettle and cook your pasta in hot, lightly salted water until al-dente.
6. Drain and serve the spaghetti with a dollop of ragu, some vegan cheese if you wish (we like Violife parmesan) and a smugness you’re saving the planet, basically.
We’d love to hear how you got on or if you’ve got any more suggestions for our Sustainable Self Care series! Getintouch@earthrewards.net